Happy 4th of July!
July 4th will always be remembered and celebrated as Independence Day. There were some other interesting happenings on that date in history, including some births worth mentioning and some notable Three Stooges events. Among those born on the Fourth of July:
• Author Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804). Among his works: House of Seven Gables and The Scarlet Letter
• President Calvin Coolidge (1872). The 29th President served from 1923-29
• Movie mogul Louis B. Mayer (1885). Merged with Metro and Goldwyn to form MGM.
• Columnist twins Abigail Van Buren (Dear Abby) and Ann Landers (1918
• Playwright Neil Simon (1927). His works include the Odd Couple, Plaza Suite and Biloxi Blues
While the adoption of The Declaration of Independence is the big news of the day, here are some other notable happenings that occurred on July 4th:
• City of Providence, Rhode Island forms in 1636
• The United States Military Academy officially opens at West Point, New York in 1802
• Construction on the Erie Canal begins in 1817
• 1st edition of Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland in 1865
• Statue of Liberty presented to the United States in Paris in 1884
• Independence National Historical Park established in Philadelphia in 1956
• America’s new 49-star flag honoring Alaska statehood unfurled in 1959
• America’s new 50-star flag honoring Hawaii statehood unfurled in 1960
The Three Stooges also have notable some 4th of July events:
• Three Loan Wolves with Larry, Moe & Curly released in 1946. This was supporting player Harold Brauer’s first appearance with The Boys and he, along with Emil Sitka, were the only supporting cast member to work with all four iterations of The Three Stooges.
• Gents In A Jam with Larry, Moe & Shemp released in 1952. This was the last Stooges short for producer Hugh McCollum and writer/director Edward Bernds.
• Bernds would come back to direct Larry, Moe & Curly Joe in the 1962 feature film The Three Stooges Meet Hercules and The Three Stooges In Orbit, released July 4, 1962.
We hope you all enjoy the parades, fireworks and festivities that will take place in every city and town across the country as we celebrate our nation’s birthday!