Title: Idiots Deluxe
Short Number: 85
Release Date: July 20, 1945
Running Time: 17:28
“If there’s anything I like better than honey and ketchup, it’s baloney and whipped cream — and we haven’t got any!”
Moe is on trial for assaulting Larry and Curly. Moe appeals to the judge (Vernon Dent), claiming he is a sick man who was instructed by his doctor to maintain peace and quiet. Realizing Moe is in bad shape, Larry and Curly decide to take their ailing leader on a hunting trip to relieve his stress. Moe agrees, and the Stooges start packing.
In their cabin, a hungry bear devours some eggs and potatoes while Moe has his back turned. His nerves double frayed, Moe asks Larry and Curly to pursue the bear. With a fear of bears, he uses his sickness as an excuse not to help. Larry and Curly set the bear trap, but Curly gets caught in the trap. They find Moe, thinking he is the bear, and shoot him. Curly drives them to the bear’s cave, and eventually, Moe helps them hunt the bear.
Larry spots some boulders and decides to barricade the cave and suffocate the bear, but accidentally knocks Moe out. Larry and Curly take him back to the car. Then, they get back to work, blocking the cave, unaware that the bear has gotten out. Larry accidentally throws a rock at the bear. The bear attacks Larry and Curly and the bear ends up behind the wheel of the car, ultimately wrecking it.
Back in the courtroom, Moe ends his story by concluding that he must go back to bed for six additional months. The judge takes pity on him and finds him not guilty. The judge then returns Moe’s ax, and Larry and Curly can’t believe the verdict. An ax-swinging Moe proceeds to chase them out of the courtroom.
Idiots Deluxe Cast & Crew
|Directed by||Jules White|
|Produced by||Jules White|
|Written by||Elwood Ullman|
|Edited by||Charles Hochberg|
Idiots Deluxe Trivia
- This was the first short to feature the dark background in the opening credits with the theater mask which would remain with The Stooges for the rest of their career at Columbia
- Idiots Deluxe parodies the title of the 1939 Robert Sherwood film Idiots Delight starring Clark Gable
- The Boys have played musicians in three of the last five films
- The bear licks the honey jar for 41 seconds
- It will be reworked in 1957 with Joe Besser as Guns a Poppin!
- Filming took place October 5-9, 1944
- The working title was Malady Lingers On